Are you eligible?
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Recognition of Current Competencies (RCC) is the process of identifying and verifying a person’s past learning experiences. It doesn’t matter whether you have obtained the knowledge and competencies from life or work experiences, from formal training or from a combination of these areas. e.g.
Formal Qualifications: You may have received a Certificate, Diploma, or a Statement of Attainment from attending a class or course which was conducted by a Registered Training Organisation
Work Experiences: Knowledge and experience gained from In House training or non-recognised program or just from experience gained throughout the years in employment.
Life Experiences: Activities that may relate to the competencies/learning outcomes. E.g. Executive Member on a local sports committee, hobby or past-time activity.
The whole process focuses on you and the knowledge and experience that you have.
RPL and RCC is about ensuring that unnecessary training is not repeated, but it is also about ensuring that the skills and knowledge that a person have are:
- Up to date
- Relevant and match with the competencies/learning outcomes of the course or qualification
- Can be proved - This occurs through assessment both of tangible evidence and/or demonstrated assessment of skills, application and underpinning knowledge.
The assessment may include a combination of :
- interview data
- authorisations to operate from other sites
- Workplace Health and Safety tickets (High Risk Licences)
- employment references
- referees/ supervisor's reports
- Statements of Attainment
- statements of attendance
- performance on in house programs
- representation at manufacturer's training sessions
- results of challenge tests